Friday 22 January 2010

Cheery Friday

Posted by Violet Cream at precisely 7:28 pm
I'm pleased to say that after four days of unexpected misery I have cheered up quite a lot. Yesterday the apple pie of my eye took me to Yo Sushi for dinner, where I had the most intensely flavoured chicken dumpling soup followed by crispy tofu salad. I think the good food has really made my day as I woke up Thursday morning after dreaming about eating chocolate truffles and was fed good stuff instead of junk. I was delighted when the apple bought my favourite biscuits from my past- the delicious but deathly baci di dama. He ate the flour, hazlenut and chocolate deadly mix as we watched a documentary about the treasures of Mexico and I refused even a taster.

Today I ventured into Manchester in the hope of getting a cheap ticket to Noel Coward's Blythe Spirit, sadly they had sold out of the day's standby tickets by the time I got there. Regardless, I booked for a new production in a couple of weeks- Salt, a play about thirty somethings discussing life at dinner parties. (Am I the only person who has never hosted a dinner party in her life?)  I have caught the theatre bug again after I landed a free ticket on Tuesday Night to see Les Miserables. Stirring music is filling corners of my brain at unexpected moments. It's eerie.

I had lunch in town- a sweet potato, butternut squash and aubergine chinese curry with sticky rice and as much green tea as I wanted. I didn't even consider dessert- it's just something I don't do these days and my God it is liberating as I can concentrate on the main food rather than running after that sweet high. 

Fed,  I ventured into the newly developing Northern quarter and found the most amazing shops with funky designs of stuff in them as well as the Manchester Craft Centre which is a little gem of talented artisans. I bought a charming mini canvas of feet on the scales, which I will photograph when I get round to it.

I love days adventuring. I spent seven hours in the city, mostly walking around and discovering the cheap joys of Primark. It has put the spring back into my step this weekend. I have found one advantage of being fat today- no one wants to sit on the bus seat next to you!

3 delightful comment/s:

Lisa on 22/1/10 8:38 pm said...

Sounds like you're doing great and avoiding sweets? WOW. That's some willpower!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hadley on 22/1/10 10:42 pm said...

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm glad you discovered me, because it led me to discover you, and I'm so so happy I found your blog. You're just a great writer, and I look forward to reading more in the future.

This sounds like a fabulous day in the city. You must've burned tons of calories walking around for 7 hours.

Speaking of the bus thing, one of my goals is to someday be thin enough that people will actually want to sit next to me on the metro when given the choice.

Beth @ Kitchen Minions on 23/1/10 1:24 am said...

the apple pie of your eye :) so cute! Your food sounds delicious!

 

The Shrinking Violet Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei