Tuesday 8 December 2009

Oranges and a cut.

Posted by Violet Cream at precisely 12:48 pm
Traditionally oranges or satsumas used to be placed into the toe of a Christmas stocking as a treat for Christmas. Yet I never had fruit in mine. I recall joyous Christmases where I opened my stocking presents to find a selection box of chocolate bars. Right there at 7 am I would rip open the box and begin to eat the confectionary. I was allowed to eat as much of it as I wanted-it was a holiday afterall and a tradition.

Looking back today I think I would have loved a clementine in the bottom of the stocking and I envy families who have this tradition, in the way that I used to look at a girl who would eat one shiny green apple a day in the school playground as I lined up for my biscuits at break time.

Terry's do a wonderfully tasty chocolate, infused with and shaped like an orange. I bought two during my bingeing phase with the intention of leaving them in the boyfriend's Christmas stocking. They didn't even make it to the wrapping phase and met the same demise as his favourite- a box of mint matchmakers! All traces of its DNA removed from my flat before he came over to visit. When it comes to chocolate I'm certainly not in control. So I'm happy to say that this year there will be no chocolate for Christmas. Instead I will continue to enjoy the intensity of the clementine, perky in its brilliant orange jacket and occasional green leaf.

I too am looking rather stylish today for once as I have iron straightened hair that feels light and swishy. The hairdresser balanced my head today in the way no one else can. It was a real delight to lie back and have my head shampooed and conditioned so that I fell into a near soporific trance state. I've stepped away from the old hair today and I'm shredding weight. Even my car tires have had a make over -air being pumped freshly into them. I love days like this, the sun low in the sky, casting shadows across my keyboard and lunch on the horizon.


5 delightful comment/s:

Cole Walter Mellon on 8/12/09 3:25 pm said...

We've always done fruit in the kid's stockings, too. Of course, they all have stockings so big that you could park a car in there...

Find my way back on 8/12/09 9:33 pm said...

Would love to see a photo of your light and swishy hair.

I go tomorrow to the hairdresser for a new cut and color and I am so nervous. Always a thought of will it be right? Will I look silly?

Mary :: A Merry Life on 8/12/09 9:43 pm said...

We've gotten fruit in our stockings before. We've also always gotten candy, which for me was never a good thing. I would have been happier in the end without the chocolate and candies.

Unknown on 9/12/09 12:33 am said...

I never got fruit in my stocking, either. Always chocolate...and christmas cookies at breakfast. Ah well - time to start some new traditions? I think my kids will be getting some fruit this year...

Beth @ Kitchen Minions on 9/12/09 2:30 am said...

Fruit is such an undervalued treat. glad you will be enjoying yours!

 

The Shrinking Violet Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei